Saturday, February 16, 2013

Feb 9

Woke up early to walk the beach this morning to look for turtle nests. We didn’t find any but the sunrise was amazing. We got ready for our snorkel trip after a big breakfast! We took a half hour drive to grab our snorkel gear and I got a wetsuit. We drove from there along the beach to the boat launch. Our first stop was near the reef to look at some fish. Beautiful, but I was starting to feel claustrophobic in the wetsuit. I took it off when we got back on the boat. Then we took a 15 minute ride looking for dolphin. The waves were very large and I was beginning to feel sick. When we got to the dolphins I forced myself in. There were 7 wild dolphins swimming right up next to us looking right at us. I felt sick, so I waved the boat over…got in…and lost my breakfast for the rest of the trip on the ocean. I missed out on more dolphin interaction and seeing the ragged tooth shark. All I could think about was solid land! But it was still a great experience. I’m glad I forced myself in at first and it was very neat to see them jumping out of the water right next to the boat! The ride back to our lodge made me get motion sickness again so I took an hour nap on the deck and had some sugar. I met up with everyone down at the beach for the last few hours of sun. I collected some shells. The men who run the lodge cooked us a braai (barbeque) over the fire of steak, brughtwurst, corn, onions, and sweet potatoes. After dinner we went on a scorpion walk. They were tiny, only about half an inch and they glowed! This is a picture of our little deck where I took my nap on the right side.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Shan for getting in there with dolphins...just to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! A great day despite the fact that you got sick :).

    ReplyDelete