Saturday, February 16, 2013

Feb 12

This morning we headed out into the bush to do a conservation project. Parts of the land gets overgrown with invasive plants which makes it harder for animals to graze and rest. So we started clearing a large section that will probably take the entire year to clear out. We used machetes and saws to cut down thorn bushes. It was painful and hot! Quite therapeutic to use the machetes though! It was great to see what all 15 of us volunteers were able to accomplish in 3 hours. ☺ Before the drive this evening I noticed both my batteries were dead! I plugged one in and got 5 minutes of charge. I was nervous, but it was just enough power. This evenings game drive was 5 hours. A group of us went on a drive to find wild dog. We had to go over to the neighboring reserve since they escaped from Thanda the other week. We found them hunting along the path and followed them for a few hours. They were beautiful and acted just like domestic dogs. On our way there a bird flew into my head!

2 comments:

  1. You got to use a machete how interesting. Glad you found it therapeutic! Hope the sunburn is getting better. Love the pictures...especially the giraffes since I know you were excited to be seeing them. Oh no a bird got you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conservation project in the bush was productive and meaningful, that's awesome! LOVE the photo of the giraffes :).

    ReplyDelete